Legal Aid Supported Law Services
At Elaine Parkes Solicitors we are experienced in helping parents and families make arrangements for children following the breakdown of a relationship. We will make sure that everyone involved understands their legal rights and responsibilities whilst ensuring that the views of you and your children are heard.
The Legal Services Commission has traditionally provided Legal Aid assistance to those who have been financially eligible to cover all aspects of family law.
However, after 1st April 2013 Legal Aid is limited to those cases involving issues of child protection or where an individual is able to produce evidence of domestic abuse within the relationship.
Examples where funding is available are:
- Public family law regarding protection of children (care proceedings)
- Private family law (divorce) where there is evidence of domestic violence
- Children cases relating to contact/residence/prohibited steps/specific issues where there is evidence of abuse
- Child abduction matters
- Representation for child parties in family cases
- Domestic violence injunction cases
To qualify for Legal Aid, you’ll need to pass a means test. This considers your income and expenditure and establishes whether you are financially eligible for Legal Aid-funded services.